SENER has carried out, in a 50% consortium with IDOM, the design, the project management [+]
Barcelona metro line 9 and 10
- Client: Infraestructures.cat
- Country: Spain
- Start date: 2000
SENER has been involved throughout the entire lifecycle of this project which has established a new standard for other metro lines in the world.
Since 2000 to the present, SENER has participated in the process of designing, bidding, construction, testing and commissioning of the new lines 9 and 10 of Barcelona Metro Network (Spain), carrying out related civil engineering works and systems facilities and equipment necessary for the correct operation of the metro lines, as well as the assurance of the Integration, Security and Operability of the Line. SENER has been key to the development and commissioning of these Metro Lines.
New Lines 9 and 10 of Barcelona’s Metro will be 47.8 km long and will have 52 stations. Once completed, these lines will be the longest automated metro lines in Europe, covering five municipalities of Barcelona metropolitan area and an estimated demand of 165 million travelers per year. The new lines will cross Barcelona and connect Badalona and Santa Coloma de Gramanet with l’Hospitalet/Zona Franca and el Prat de Llobregat/Aeroport, providing service to great demand areas, which are currently without a public railway transport connection.
Among the main technical aspects, it is important to highlight that Lines 9 and 10 are operated in automatic mode ‘driverless’ (UTO - Unatlended Train Operation). The ATC (Automatic Train Control) system is based on CBTC (Communications-based Train Control) technology with continuous supervision and mobile cantonment. High-capacity elevators, synchronized with the arrival of trains, Wireless real time video broadcast, Main IP communication network, Tetra communications network and global centralized integration of Operation and Control Management Centre are also available.
Scope of services provided by SENER
Development of the Global Functional Specification of the Line, defining the main operational parameters and technical requirements, as part of the conceptual & functional project of the full line.
- Tender documents for contracting Detailed Design Project and Construction of the main systems, and subsequent tender evaluation.
- Detailed Design Supervision and Coordination for the Systems Contracts, including coordinating, reviewing, ensuring consistency and accepting engineering design sub-missions.
- Design assurance: documentation and specification review, code/regulation compliance review, feedback on engineering design and planning, integration and interfacing review, operational/maintenance reviews, etc.
- Construction oversight: progress monitoring, compliance, integration plan, verification & validation, commissioning/testing, operational readiness activities and deficiency resolution.
- Management of contractual procedures for the Systems contracts.
- Development, implementation and performance of project management processes, covering management of: Requirements, Scope, Integration, Schedule, Risk, Value, Health and safety, Quality, Information, and Contract Administration.
- Project support services: scope definition, stakeholder management, cost estimation, validation and benchmarking, schedule planning and optimization, procurement strategy and risk management.
- Supervision of the Procurement, Installation, Testing and Commissioning activities.
- Systems engineering and system integration. Requirement management and interfaces management between different contractors and stakeholders. Integration Assurance from the Design to the Testing and Commissioning.
SENER carried out the conceptual design of the complete Transportation project and the functional specifications of the critical systems, defining the main operating parameters and technical requirements of the complete line. One of the key challenges was the new operational scenario with full-automated stations and trains without on-board staff.
After that, SENER carried out the drafting of the Tender documents (including technical specifications), for the contracting of the Detailed Design Project and Construction of the main systems, which include:
- ATC System (Automatic Train Control) and Signaling System.
- PCC (Control Center) and PCE (Emergency Control Center).
- Telecommunication Systems (including Passenger Information Systems), TETRA and Broadband Radio Networks.
- Reception substations (2 to 220 KV) and traction.
- Power Distribution System 30 kV.
- Automated Platform Screen Doors (PSD).
- Electromechanical Systems: Elevators and escalators.
- Automatic Ticketing System.
During the Design and Construction phases, SENER has been involved in the supervision of the main systems’ Design and Construction Contracts, ensuring that they were designed and constructed according with requirements, safely and efficiently.
SENER staff has been also responsible for the overall integration of the Project, from the Design to the Startup, carrying out the Technical Assistance for Systems and Infrastructure Integration and coordination of works, Testing and Commissioning of the whole Transport System, including:
- Upgrading of the Functional Project, Functional and Technical Integration, Requirements Management and Interfaces Management (including Infrastructures station, tunnel and viaduct, track and catenary, Security Facilities, Ventilation and Fire Protection, Electromechanical installations, Energy Systems (High, Medium and Low voltage), Railway Signalling and CBTC, PSD, PCC and Mobile Material,…).
- Safety Integration and Global Transportation System’s Security Plan development and Safety Dossier development for the commissioning of each line’s section authorization.
- Coordination and Supervision works, Global System Testing and Commissioning (performing: construction and testing phases works coordination, technical assistance during the march in white, coordination of actions and tests with partial sections already in exploitation,…).
- Control and Integration of the Project Documentation (As Built, Safety, test results, Inventory, Versions Control, etc.).
Other programsSee all
The aim of this Project is the construction of a Primary Health Care Center and [+]
EPCM of the Maritime Terminal of Costa Crociere in the Attached Quay of the Port of Barcelona, [+]
Technical support services for the technical due diligence of the Navarre Canal construction project, which [+]