SENER has carried out, in a 50% consortium with IDOM, the design, the project management [+]
Feasibility study for the High Speed Railway Northern Line Access to Bilbao and Abando Railway Station
- Client: Spanish Ministry of Civil Works
- Country: Spain
- Start date: 2006
- Ending date: 2013
Feasibility study for the High Speed Railway Northern Line in Bilbao, Spain.
SENER carried out the Feasibility study for the High Speed Railway Northern Line (Basque Country Region). Preliminary design for the new railway access in Bilbao (Length of the section under study: 6,9 km).
The work includes the study of the setting out of the new UIC gauge railway line from Basauri to Bilbao, with a length of approximately 6 km running entirely through a tunnel, as well as producing the Feasibility Study for the new terminal line in Bilbao, located on the current Abando station grounds.
The two main issues the project has to face are the impact on existing railway infrastructures, especially to FEVE and RENFE tunnels, and the integration of a urban rail intervention that has its terminus in Bilbao city center.
The proposal solves both problems. On one side, the tunnels are kept in service, with a minimal impact on the connection with La Casilla tunnel. On the other side, Abando station is optimally integrated within the urban fabric and the area becomes a connecting node for the city. Although the volumetric and architectural proposal of the area analysed in the informative study is not definite, it is a tool for the study of the plot and it graphically represents a fundamental declaration of intentions to improve the city of Bilbao by stating some fundamental design criteria:
- Preservation of the existing roof
- Permeability of the plot and recuperation of the natural levels
- Predominance of open spaces, green and recreational areas
- Pedestrian and visual axis as a backbone of the proposal
- Medium scale and perimetral roadways
- Promoting urban regeneration: a focus of activity close to a degraded area
- Importance of the convergence between Bailén and La Naja streets
- Railway functional proposal on several levels
- Intermodality: connection with Metro Bilbao and tramway
Other programsSee all
The aim of this Project is the construction of a Primary Health Care Center and [+]
EPCM of the Maritime Terminal of Costa Crociere in the Attached Quay of the Port of Barcelona, [+]
Technical support services for the technical due diligence of the Navarre Canal construction project, which [+]