SENER has been involved throughout the entire implementation of the Porto Light Rail. SENER, as leader [+]
- Client: CAET XXI, Construções ACE (Soares da Costa/FCC/RRC)
- Country: Portugal
- Start date: 2009
- Ending date: 2012
SENER has developed the design and the construction supervision of civil works for a Highway Concession of 135 km.
The A4/IP4 highway links the city of Oporto in Portugal with the Spanish Border in Quintanilha, and is approximately 220 km long.
The project includes 132 km of new construction, with 24 junctions, 78 overpasses/flyovers and 137 underpasses. It also includes a cut-&-cover 65 m long tunnel and 17 viaducts, among which it is important to highlight the Tinhela Bridge, which is 2,800 m long and has a maximum span of 116 m, and the Corgo Viaduct, a 2,980 m long cable-stayed bridge with a maximum height of 160 m. It is currently the biggest bridge in Portugal.
The project and its construction were divided into 11 sub-sections, which were opened to traffic in 2012, the conclusion date of the construction phase and the completion of the services provided by SENER.
SENER has conducted the global management of the project, specifically the design covering all disciplines and the site supervision of works during the construction phase of the section between Vila Real (Parada de Cunhos) and Quintanilha, included in the Sub-concession of the Transmontana highway.
Being a design and construction project, it’s important to emphasize the complex coordination between design and technical assistance with the construction of the infrastructure, which requires constant close monitoring of its progress and rapid solutions for the usual problems that occur during the construction of this kind of infrastructure.
- Project data:
- 132 new kilometres (2 sections with toll, with a total length of 14 km and 3 toll-free sections with a total length of 120 km) and 3 service areas
- 24 junctions
- 142 replacements
- 240 drainage works
- 137 structural works (overpasses, underpasses and animal crossings)
- one 65-m-long false tunnel
- 17 viaducts, including the cable-stayed bridge over the river Corgo, 2800 metres long and a maximum pier height of 190 metres and 300 m maximum span, and the bridge over the river Tinhela, 268 m long and with a maximum span of 116 m.
Other programsSee all
Road franchise that includes the A7 and A11 motorways, with a total length of 175 [+]